Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Our new addition...My new furry friend

We  added a new member to the household yesterday.  She's white with a few grey specs.....She is playful,and curious, and my kids love her to death(Well, we do too)  Her name is Nova.  She was given her name at the SPCA.  She was from Nova Scotia and that's how she got the name, and we decided not to change it.  She is 6 months, 4 weeks old.

I went to the SPCA on about four occasions and she caught my eye the very first time.  She was playful, sticking her paws out of the cage as I walked by....and she was cute at the same time...


I also took a picture of some of the outdoor dog cages, because it amazes me how many dogs they have.  Usually, at previous Humane Societies that I have been to, there has always been an over population of cats.....but here in Moncton, I can't believe how many dogs there are.


Just walking by all of the cages, whether they are for cats or dogs, it just break my heart the number of animals who have been given up.  Who gives up a 6 or 7 year old dog because they have to move?  I don't understand....It would be like giving up a member of your family.....

It's great though the number of people out there who go to the SPCA to adopt their animals.....It appears as though they are well taken care of there by a couple of employees and volunteers.  I know Nova was very clean, and well groomed when I took her home. Their cages are a fair size compared to other Humane Society's that I have been too, which is nice for the animals because they have room to move around.  And they are dewormed, treated for fleas, and have their shots, micro chipped and are spayed or neutered.....

This is a far cry from years ago when I had adopted two cats from the Toronto Humane Society.....One, it turned out, was infested with fleas and also had worms......They had been extremely overpopulated by cats at the time, so obviously they were unable to care for them anymore......

I highly recommend the Moncton SPCA...

Well, here she is....Let me introduce you to Nova.







She loves her bed, which has been passed down from my previous two cats, Karma and Varsity(RIP)...And we picked up a few toys for her, that she spends a lot of her time playing with.

The one thing we are going to do differently with Nova, is feed her only dry food.  Our last two cats were fed both dry and wet....and I've been told that they don't need the wet food...Just plenty of dry food an water...

Nova is fitting in perfectly....and making herself at home....Thanks SPCA!

On another note, my husband would still like to get a dog.  He was raised with dogs as pets, whereas I always had cats......He would really like to get a greyhound, from one of the organizations that adopts out the rescued racing greyhounds....But unfortunately they do not adopt out unless your children are over the age of 5.....So we will have to wait until later this year for that.....Or he might change his mind and maybe consider giving a home to one of the many dogs at the SPCA...

No comments:

Post a Comment