Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My workplace...in case you are curious

Have you ever wondered what the inside of a radio station looks like?  I've taken a couple of pics of where I spend my mornings...I work one of those crazy people shifts..waking up before the birds get up, and leaving at around noon.  But it's what I do, and what I've always loved.  My career has taken me to many cities, most of them in Ontario.  Since I started in the radio business in 1995, I've spent time in Owen Sound,Ontario, Orillia,Ontario,  Trail,British Columbia, London,Ontario, Kingston,Ontario and now Moncton,New Brunswick.  It's been over 6 years here, and I think it might be one of my last stops.  Moving was so much easier for me when I was younger, and single.  I could just pack up a few boxes, load a truck and off I went.  Now there is so much more involved.  Selling a house, packing boxes and furniture, finding a house, relocating my family, finding a new job for my husband, and so forth. 

I've worked in different genres of radio stations as well, with many differing formats, including country, pop, music from the 40's and 50's, sports radio and now News/Talk.  And I've worked in different roles as well.  News Anchor, Co-Host, Producer, News Editor, Talk Show Host and Reporter.

Our radio station is pretty basic, with only 9 employees...3 of them are sales reps.  Our copy department(they write the commercials), and management staff all work out of Halifax.


That is our News booth where we broadcast from every day.  We also have a Talk Show booth, and also a newsroom where we prepare our newscasts.

Some people get pretty excited when I tell them I work in radio, but really it's just another job.  It's like anyone else who has chosen to be a lawyer, a doctor or a teacher....I just chose to work in the radio business and went to school to study it.  It becomes an addiction after awhile.  I know a lot of people who got into the business and were determined to leave...but just couldn't do it because they loved it too much.....and they were afraid to miss it......Others have managed to get out...but have landed right back in it....
Our station launched in October of 2005,  and there are still 3 of us who have been there from the start.  Many have moved on, to our Halifax station, or back to Ontario....or have just left the business to pursue other opportunities...As to what the future holds for me...I'm not really sure at this point..Just taking it day by day...We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment