Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Attack of the Smurfs!!!

When I was a child, I was a little bit spoiled........Okay, I admit...I was a lot spoiled.  The Smurfs were a big fixture in my life when I was about 11 or 12 years old.  Believe it or not, I looked up some of the history, and the Smurfs were actually first introduced in a series of comic strips by a Belgian cartoonist Peyo.  I pulled a little more info from The Smurfs Wikipedia site.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smurfs
"The Smurfs (French: Les Schtroumpfs) is a comic and television franchise centered on a group of small blue fictional creatures called Smurfs, created and first introduced as a series of comic strips by the Belgian cartoonist Peyo (pen name of Pierre Culliford) on October 23, 1958. The original term and the accompanying language came during a meal Peyo was having with his colleague and friend André Franquin at the Belgian Coast. Having momentarily forgotten the word "salt", Peyo asked him (in French) to pass the schtroumpf. Franquin jokingly replied: "Here's the Schtroumpf—when you are done schtroumpfing, schtroumpf it back..." and the two spent the rest of that weekend speaking in "schtroumpf language".[3] The name was later translated into Dutch as Smurf, which was adopted in English."
Hmmmm...I didn't know that before, but it is interesting to read exactly where the name "Smurf"  came from.   Maybe you didn't know that either.... It's amazing what you can learn when you read blogs eh!    Anyway, back to my original point.   I was lacking in the topic department tonight for a blog idea, so I decided to have a little fun with the kids.  This gets me back my original point of being spoiled......Yes, believe it or not, I did have a point...I had a large collection of Smurfs as a child.   About 125 of them to be exact.  You know, those little blue figurines they sold back in the 80's when the little blue characters were popular......I used to have the little toadstool houses to go with them.  And my Aunt Gail Scott even made me a ceramic one as well that I used in my Smurf Village.   Well, the toadstools are long gone, but my mom held onto the Smurfs, thinking that maybe someday they would be worth something....Who would've thought they would make a comeback?  Now that they have, my children have inherited the little blue guys...





We counted them....There are 116 in the pictures.....The others, are around the house somewhere....

Every so often, my giant children decide to overtake the Smurfs.....as you can see in the photo below....


But the Smurfs always get their revenge.....This time, it wasn't on the children....They took their anger out on the adults!     Attack!!!!


We think the really angry Smurf, who had apparently been playing in black mud or something, was behind the attack....You'll see him in the picture below...



I think Daddy will recover..The kids rescued him and the Smurfs are now safely away in their box in the cupboard again......Or are they?   Hmmmmmm...I wonder if they have their own little village in there...



If Nova could talk, the stories I'm sure she'd tell........

:)





No comments:

Post a Comment